Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Sad Goodbye...

Beloved TV Star, Sherman Hemsley, dies at age 74, but George Jefferson will live on!
A smile would always find its way to my lips when the theme song began. The Jeffersons was one of my favorite childhood sitcoms, an original. Of course, Sherman Hemsley appeared in other shows, but his most known role was that of George Jefferson in the witty show about the owner of a dry cleaning shop who is “moving on up to the east side, to a delux apartment in the sky”.
I personally loved the way he and the maid, Florence ( played by Marla Gibbs ) would banter back and forth. I got a lot of inspiration for who I am today through them, I believe. George and “Weezy” (Isabel Sandford) first appeared on All in the Family where George and Archie eventually, after much name calling, began to become friends and change eachothers views on race. The Jeffersons also introduced America to another tv first: a mixed-race couple.
For more on Sherman Hemsley, please visit: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-07-24/sherman-hemsley-dies/56466676/1

0 comments: